Sunday, March 31, 2013

What voice did away with my home theater?

Problem courtesy of WearyAlmond: Why do voices sound far away with my home theater?

I have a Harmon Kardon AVR-325 receiver hooked up to a 5.1 Castle audio speaker system. When I switch the settings on the receiver to any of the given “cinema” modes the voice track of whichever movie I am watching sounds very faint. I know that none of the speakers are blown because when I listen to a movie through one of the “music” modes the voice is much louder however I do experience some crackling. Perhaps my speakers are not connected in the correct way. Any help is appreciated.


Nevertheless this is only about Why do voices sound far away with my home theater? you will need to have to fix situations without some help. With some luck it will aid in lots of ways… and formulate everything considerably better. Needing only about Why do voices sound far away with my home theater? may very well be simple solution as time goes on.

Best answer:


Answer by Lance

It sounds like the center channel speaker is not loud enough or you have the polarity reversed, try increasing the volume on the center channel alone and also try reversing the polarity on the center channel and see if that helps…


Answer by gkk_72

How is the audio hooked up to your system? Through a digital connection? If so, although I do not have a unit like yours I do believe I have experienced the same problems. When you are watching anything that is in dolby digital 5.1 surround sound you need to make sure you only select digital input and nothing else. This will direct the voices to the center channel where they belong.

Music or cinema modes are for creating pseudo surround sound from two channel sources and do not do well when you have a true 5.1 source. When you use one of those choices the center channel information either gets ignored or sent to the left and right front speakers.


Answer by Grumpy Mac

Well – the obvious answer is to NOT use the Cinema modes. Chances are they are trying to do an “Echo” between the center speaker and the left/right so they lower the volume to create an illusion of depth.


All Dolby Digital receivers have a menu setup where you can raise/lower just the center volume as an offset to the main volume control. Find this and bump the volume up a bit before trying the Cinema settings.


But frankly – only Yamaha does a decent job with these Cinema modes and once I found one I liked – I leave it set to this setting all the time. (Sports are one exception – the only time I use the “Stadium” setting is for the Superbowl.)


Do know a lot better?

Leave your personal answer belonging to the comments!


Music video by Jennifer Lopez performing On The Floor feat. Pitbull. © 2011 Island Records #VEVOCertified on April 15, 2012. http://www.vevo.com/certified ht…


Music Box


Picture due to Music Box


This music(-al) box plays Tchaikovsky’s "Swan Lake".


What voice did away with my home theater?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive